Friday, May 13, 2011

It's a Wonderful Town

I haven’t spent much time in Manhattan lately.

Not by choice; it’s still the most magical place in the world to me – even if the Times Square neon – er-- video is somewhat over-the-top these days.

Actually it’s a good thing Mayor Bloomberg forced that pedestrian zone down our throats; Times Square was an accident waiting to happen. I remember trying to drive down Broadway at dusk ---so mesmerized by the video displays I hardly noticed the cars and pedestrians in the gridlock around me.

OK. So there I was yesterday -- running from meeting to meeting – and wondering if all those construction jobs lost when the housing bubble burst had somehow migrated to Manhattan. Recessionary construction slowdown? Are you kidding? There must be some kind of building going up on virtually every corner. And remember “dig we must for a growing New York”? Well so does Con Ed. It’s still digging. Everywhere.

So the traffic is as bad as ever. Maybe worse. Why am I not surprised?

And maybe it’s because I haven’t been rushing around in awhile – but is there ANYONE on ANY street who’s paying attention to ANYTHING?? New Yorkers have always been famously self-absorbed – gazes narrowed to block out the “other”. But this is getting ridiculous. It’s not just the hordes talking to themselves anymore (sorry, I mean talking into those little hanging mics connected to their cellphones). Now they’re texting, watching videos on their iPhones, you name it. Sure I brush by people occasionally when I’m weaving in and out of sidewalk crowds. I usually murmur – “sorry.” Or “excuse me”. It’s kind of automatic. But not with the texting hordes. They aren’t even aware their backpacks or shopping bags sideswiped anyone. They’re not aware of ANYTHING! And if it’s annoying on the sidewalks -- try driving in midtown. People don’t even look before they wander off the curb into the traffic. Talk about being in your own world! The problem is --- I’m sharing your world – whether or not you want me to!

Could someone please send all these people a text message – to look – before they leap? Er… walk?

Thank you.

No comments: